Friday, March 21, 2014

Chapters 15-20 Vocabulary

1. Nonchalantly:
Definition: coolly unconcerned, indifferent
Sentence in book: "My driver, a chain-smoking, sweaty little man who introduced himself as Gholam, drove nonchalantly and recklessly, averting collisions by the thinnest of margins, all without so much as a pause in the incessant stream of words spewing from his mouth:" (pg.195)
My sentence: The girl acted so nonchalantly around her friends.
Synonyms: casual
Antonyms: different

2. Incessant:
Definition: continuing without interruption
Sentence in book: "My driver, a chain-smoking, sweaty little man who introduced himself as Gholam, drove nonchalantly and recklessly, averting collisions by the thinnest of margins, all without so much as a pause in the incessant stream of words spewing from his mouth:" (pg.195)
My sentence: The incessant speech lasted a total of 10 hours.
Synonyms: eternal, everlasting
Antonyms: broken

3. Garrulous:
Definition: excessively talkative in a rambling kind of way
Sentence in book:
My sentence: The garrulous man was 20 years old.
Synonyms: babbling, chatting
Antonyms: quiet

4. Collateral:
Definition: security pledged for a payment of the loan
Sentence in book: "Collateral Damage," Rahim Khan said
My sentence: The boss had to pay for the collateral damage.
Synonyms: under, added
Antonyms: different

5. Melancholic:
Definition: gloomy
Sentence in book: "Were a melancholic people, we afghans, aren't we?" (pg.201)
My sentence: The melancholic girl was wearing all black.
Synonyms: gloomy, moody
Antonyms: cheerful, happy

6. Wallow:
Definition: to roll about or lie in water, snow, mud, dust, or the like, as for refreshment
Sentence in book: "Often, we wallow too much in Ghamkhori and self-pity." (pg.201)
My sentence: The big green animal wallowed around the park.
Synonyms: lie, sway
Antonyms: steady, straighten

7. Pragmatic:
Definition: of or pertaining to a practical point of view or practical considerations.
Sentence in book:"But I am not surrendering to fate her, I am being pragmatic." (pg.201)
My sentence: The pragmatic essay was written in red.
Synonyms: efficient, sober
Antonyms: excited, impractical

8. proverbial:
Definition: of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a proverb
Sentence in book: "Kabul in those days, Amir Jan, was as close as you could get to that proverbial hell on earth." (pg. 212)
My sentence: The proverbial car door was opened way too early.
Synonyms: accepted, acknowledged
Antonyms: different

9. Presumptuous:
Definition: unwarrantedly or impertinently bold; forward.
Sentence in book: "It was presumptuous of me to just show up and ask you to drop everything." (pg.207)
My sentence: The presumptuous old man was driving on the wrong side of the road.
Synonyms: rude, pushy
Antonyms: cautious, humble

10. Oblivion:
Definition: the state of being completely forgotten or unknown
Sentence in book:"I wished he had let me live on in my oblivion."(pg.226)
My sentence: The man went from being completely oblivion to being very well-known.
Synonyms: disregard, forgetfulness
Antonyms: caring

11. Empathy:
Definition: the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or  attitudes of another.
Sentence in book: "There was no empathy in his eyes." (pg.228)
My sentence:Mary withdrew with complete empathy.
Synonyms:pity, warmth
Antonyms: hatred

12. Animosity:
Definition: a feeling of strong dislike
Sentence in book: "Farid gave me another dismissive look, this one with a hint of barely suppressed animosity, and went back to smoking his cigarette."(pg.228)
My sentence: The animosity was rising in the supermarket.
Synonyms: malice
Antonyms: happiness, kind

13. Surly:
Definition: unfriendly or hostile
Sentence in book: "His tone bordered on the surly." (pg.229)
My sentence: The surly woman was dressed in yellow.
Synonyms: testy, ugly
Antonyms: kind, nice

14. Rueful:
Definition: causing sorrow or pity
Sentence in book:" He used to have seven" Rahim said with a rueful look, but he'd lost his two youngest girls a few years earlier in a land mine blast just outside of jalalabad..." (pg.230)
My sentence: The death of a dog was extremely rueful.
Synonyms: sorry, remorseful
Antonyms: happy

15. Deliberate:
Definition: carefully weighed or considered
Sentence in book: "I was afraid I'd deliberate, ruminate, agonize, rationalize, and talk myself into not going." (pg.231)
My sentence: The deliberate opinions was a heated debate for a full 30 minutes.
Synonyms: careful
Antonyms: careless

16. Ruminate:
Definition: to chew again or over and over
Sentence in book:  "I was afraid I'd deliberate, ruminate, agonize, rationalize, and talk myself into not going." (pg.231)
My sentence: The ruminate steak was a little under cooked.
Synonyms: figure, weigh
Antonyms: forget, discard

17. Contemptuous:
Definition: showing or expressing contempt
Sentence in book: "Farid said, speaking to wahid but fixing me with a contemptuous gaze." (pg.236)
My sentence: To restrict myself from eating the cookie, was contemptuous.
Synonyms: bold, cheeky
Antonyms: humble

18. Furtive:
Definition: taken, done, used
Sentence in book: "As I ate, I noticed Wahid's boys, all three thin with dirtcaked faces and short cropped brown hair under their skullcaps, stealing furtive glances at my wristwatch." (pg.238)
My sentence: The furtive paper was ready to hand in.
Synonyms: sly, shifty
Antonyms: open

19. Morosely:
Definition: characterized by or expressing gloom
Sentence in book: "Welcome back" he said morosely." (pg.244)
My sentence: The morosely girl with yellow glasses was very pretty.
Synonyms: wistfully, gloomily
Antonyms: happily

20. Benevolence:
Definition: an act of kindness
Sentence in book: "A world of thanks for your benevolence, Agha sahib." (pg.248)
My sentence: Picking up the Popsicle for the young girl was a act of benevolence.
Synonyms: gift, feeling
Antonyms: hatred

21. Profoundly:
Definition: being or going far beneath what is superficial, external, or obvious
Sentence in book: "Because I'm so profoundly happy, Dr.Rusal" (pg.250)
My sentence: I profoundly read more of the book than I was suppose too.
Synonyms: very, greatly
Antonyms: incompletely

No comments:

Post a Comment