Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Chapters 21-25 Vocabulary

1. Gingerly:
Definition- with great care or caution
Sentence in book- "Gingerly, I walked up the driveway where tufts of weeds now grew between the sun-faded bricks." (pg.261)
My sentence- The woman was very gingerly on her walk. 
Synonyms- dainty, delicate
Antonyms- rough 

2. Succulent:
Definition- rich in desire
Sentence in book- "The kabob was as succulent and delicious as I remembered." (pg.265)
My sentence- The succulent ring was very expensive.
Synonyms- moist, yummy 
Antonyms- unappetizing

3. Morbidly:
Definition- affected by, causing 
Sentence in book- "I found it morbidly fascinating that he hadn't changed his clothes from the executions earlier that day." (pg.275)
My sentence- The country of Chili was morbid to the earthquake. 
Synonyms- insanely, gruesome
Antonyms- cheerful, joyful 

4. Surreal:
Definition- having disorientating, hallucinating
Sentence in book- "The moment felt surreal- no, not surreal, absurd- it had knocked the breath out of me, brought the world around me to a standstill." (pg.281) 
My sentence- Becca was surreal after the big car accident.
Synonyms- hypnagogic 
Antonyms- real 

5. Epiphany:
Definition- an appearance or manifestation
Sentence in book- "But one day I had an Epiphany." (pg.282)
My sentence- Florence epiphany was horrible. 
Synonyms- flash, vision
Antonyms- secret

6. Impunity:
Definition- exemption from punishment 
Sentence in book- "Amir, the socially legitimate half, the half that represented the riches he had inherited and the sin-with-impunity privileges that came with him." (pg.301)
My sentence- Sally escaped the impunity by the skin of her teeth.
Synonyms- liberty, permission
Antonyms- veto 

7. Remorse:
Definition- deep and painful regret from wrongdoing
Sentence in book- "And this is what I want you to understand, that good, real good, was born out of your fathers remorse." (pg.302)
My sentence- The old man felt great remorse for hitting the dog that ran in front of his car.
Synonyms- pity, regret
Antonyms- joy

8. Shrewd:
Definition- keen;piercing
Sentence in book- "My boys are young but they are very shrewd." (pg.304)
My sentence- The shrewd sound scared the lives of many. 
Synonyms-tricky, smooth
Antonyms- ignorant

9. Pondered:
Definition- to consider something thoroughly and deeply 
Sentence in book- "I stole looks at him as he pondered his cards." (pg.306)
My sentence- Mary pondered her options for three days. 
Synonyms- consider, dwell
Antonyms- discard

10. Paunchy:
Definition- having a large and protruding belly; potbellied
Sentence in book- "The manager, a paunchy man with sweat patches under his arms, kept flashing smiles and telling me that no one in the bank had touched the money."(pg.308)
My sentence- The scrawny man was paunchy. 
Synonyms- bulky, solid
Antonyms- tiny, small

11. Reproachful:
Definition- full or or expressing reproach
Sentence in book- "I saw myself calling the police, describing Sohrab to them under Fayyaz's reproachful glare." (pg.316)
My sentence- The reproachful stare from the man was scary. 
Synonyms- insolent, offensive
Antonyms- kind, nice

12. Obligatory:
Definition- imposing moral or legal obligation
Sentence in book- "I heard the officer, his voice tired and uninterested, asking his obligatory questions." (pg.316)
My sentence-It was obligatory to let the kids pick their umbrellas before me. 
Synonyms- mandatory
Antonyms- optional

13. Irrevocably:
Definition- not to be revoked or recalled
Sentence in book-"What had happened in that room with Assef had irrevocably bound us." (pg.320)
My sentence- The irrevocable trust was what kept us close. 
Synonyms-certainly
Antonyms- doubtful

14. Squalid:
Definition- wretched; miserable 
Sentence in book-" I had found the boy in squalid conditions, wasting away in a orphanage." (pg.329)
My sentence- Henry was upset due to the squalid weather. 
Synonyms- shabby
Antonyms- honorable, good

15. Fabricated:
Definition- to fake; forge 
Sentence in book- "Let's assume the story you gave me is true, though i'd bet my pension a good deal it was either fabricated or omitted." (pg.330)
My sentence- By the time the story reached the fifth person it was extremely fabricated. 
Synonyms- mix, devise
Antonyms- demolish

16. Reputable:
Definition- considered to be of good or considerable usage
Sentence in book- "I'm saying that if you want to help, send money to a reputable relief organization." (pg.331)
My sentence-The reputable organization helped against bullying awareness.
Synonyms- trustworthy
Antonyms- unimportant, unknown

17. Turmoil:
Definition- a state of commotion or confusing
Sentence in book- "...I brought Hassans son from Afghanistan to America, lifting him from the certainty of turmoil and dropping him in a turmoil of uncertainty." (pg.356)
My sentence- The turmoil in Afghanistan still continues today.  
Synonyms- flap, whirl 
Antonyms- calmness

18. Profusely:
Definition- made or done freely and abundantly
Sentence in book- "...If you do, you will be scorned and made to apologize profusely for having committed the sin of spoiling the end." (pg.357)
My sentence- The cake was made profusely.
Synonyms-amply, richly
Antonyms- pre-made

2 comments:

  1. Very helpful if you dont have the book with you and need the vocabulary to do the work. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very helpful and I love this website and I think I am going to keep using it everyday when I really need it for the QS + Vocabulary too
    Keep Up The Good Work.

    ReplyDelete